Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 14:11:19 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "Deman" <s9810048@mmu.edu.my>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: home pc use

Deman writes:

> Wow 100 apps! I've never use to that count ( yes
> I'm using Windows and of course also FreeBSD ).

That's the difference between playing with a machine and using it for business.

> May you list up at least 50 of them. :)

Remember, you asked.  I count 80 just by looking at the machine, of which I use
all but half a dozen or so at least every few days, and several dozen every day:

CompuServe CSNav-Win
CompuServe WinCIM
Adobe Acrobat (full version)
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Adobe Acrobat Distiller
Adobe Type Manager Deluxe
Adobe PageMaker
Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Photoshop
Adobe Streamline
1500+ Type 1 PostScript and TrueType fonts
Apache
WinOnCD
HP DeskScan
Microsoft Visual InterDev
Microsoft Visual C++
Diskeeper Lite
Microsoft FrontPage
Windows Internet Information Server
ICQ
Microsoft Internet Explorer
Opera
Lynx
WebTV
Netscape 4.x
Netscape 6.x
BlackICE Defender
NikonScan
Paint Shop Pro
Palm IV Desktop
Perl
PGP
QuickTime
SecureFX
SecureCRT
Wacom
Microsoft World Atlas
ZoneAlarm
Microsoft Comic Chat
mIRC
WS_FTP Pro
Extensis MaskPro
Corel KnockOut
Microsoft NetMeeting
Outlook Express
Outlook
PowerPoint
Microsoft Word
Microsoft Access
Image Composer
RealPlayer
Windows Media Player
Expander
BarCode Pro
Fritz
Rebel
EBP Compta
Encarta 96
Final Draft
Flight Simulator
Flight Check
Family Tree
GeoClock
GifAnimator
JpegWizard
Kodak DC120 software
MapThis
MathType
Money
NetHack
PKZIP
POV-Ray
Quark XPress Passport
SimCity
Harrap's Online
Visio
VisualRoute
Vuescan
WinBoard
WinZip

In order to replace this with FreeBSD, I'd have to be able to run essentially
all of the above.  I am probably missing a few, as I just glanced at what I had
on the machine.

> What area are you in? Graphics? DTP?

All of the above.

> I'm just quite curious what work are you
> doing that need so much of apps.

Whatever provides me with income.  The Windows machine is thus a
mission-critical computer for this purpose.

  -- Anthony