Date:      Tue, 19 May 1998 09:24:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        druber@mail.kersur.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scsi tape status?

>Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 20:54:14 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Dan Swartzendruber <druber@mail.kersur.net>

>Is there any way to get the online/offline status for a SCSI DAT drive?
>I'm running 2.2.6 and am trying to get multi-tape support to work for
>Amanda 2.4.0, but the multi-device script uses 'mt status' to probe for
>the status of the drive.  Unfortunately, 'mt status' doesn't seem to
>print anything other than density/compression information (certainly
>nothing that seems related to whether there is a cartridge in the drive).

I was recently looking around in the same area, for a similar reason --
I have a home-grown PErl script I've used for backups on various
systems, and since I tend to stack multiple files on a given cartridge,
I ahd been using "mt status" to report the file number (position).

Unfortunately, I found (when I brought the Perl script over to the
FreeBSD environment), "mt status" doesn't report that.

I tried hacking "mt.c" to report what was in the struct mtget (see
/usr/include/sys/mtio.h), but the "file" & "block" numbers are in the
"not yet implemented" section, as borne out by the results I was getting
-- 0, even after "mt -f /dev/nrst0 fsf".

And I didn't see anything in that struct that would indicate o{ff,n}line
status, sorry.

david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com	(650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621