Date:      Wed, 21 Dec 2011 03:31:26 -0600
From:      Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>
To:        Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: clang (__builtin_ffs) vs /usr/include/string.h

Lsof......
And this seems like a contradiction between the string.h declara=
tion and the built-in one.
--
Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Pl=
ease excuse my brevity.

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU> wrote:

Hi Larry,

=
On Tue, 20 Dec 2011, Larry Rosenman wrote:

-----

> Is anyone going to fix the following in the clang or=
 FreeBSD system?

I haven't seen any mention of __builtin_ffs on any freebs=
d lists since
your thread in october, "system headers with clang?". That r=
ather makes
me suspect that no one else is seeing this "problem". It's har=
d to fix
something you don't know about.

> In file included from /usr/i=
nclude/string.h:45:
> /usr/include/strings.h:47:6: error: conflicting types=
 for '__builtin_ffs'
> int ffs(int) __pure2;
> ^
> /usr/include/machine/cpu=
func.h:140:24: note: expanded from:
> #define ffs(x) __builtin_ffs(x)
> ^
>=
 /usr/include/strings.h:47:6: note: '__builtin_ffs' is a builtin with
> typ=
e 'int (unsigned int)'
> 7 warnings and 1 error generated.
> *** Error code=
 1

As such, since we don't know what the "problem" is, some context for =
what
is going on here would be useful -- what are you trying to compile? S=
till
lsof?

> This looks like something that needs to change in clang/Fr=
eeBSD headers.

Not necessarily -- things from the machine/ hierarchy are p=
retty uncommon,
and I wouldn't be surprised if they had dependencies and o=
rdering
requirements involved. It could well be an application error, but =
we
can't tell, since there is no context.

-Ben Kaduk