Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 12:58:02 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: root partition

> Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 12:36:24 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Jason P Holland <jholland@cs.selu.edu>
>
> yes, absolutely, that is a best practice.  if /var fills up, you don't
> want that to affect /.  also, /tmp should be seperate, because its a DoS
> since /tmp can be written by any user, they could conceivably fill up /.
> the only case this would be ok, would be if you were installing on a
> smaller hard drive, which gives you less room to juggle around.
>
> jason

Yep.  My usual practice is to create a separate /var partition,
create /var/tmp, and symlink /tmp to /var/tmp.

If you don't have a separate /var filesystem, I recommend:

Create /usr/var
Create /usr/var/tmp
Symlink /var to /usr/var
Symlink /tmp to /usr/var/tmp

If the time comes you get a separate /var partition (ie during a
drive upgrade) it becomes fairly easy to move the whole /usr/var
collection to /var.

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium