Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 1996 22:33:22 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Ted Spradley <tsprad%perseverance@dal95.metronet.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Configuring 3Com 3C590 Etherlink III PCI

I need some advice on configuring FreeBSD for a PCI-bus machine with a
3Com 3c590 Etherlink III.

I've installed 2.1R on it, but now I have to build a kernel that
understands the ATAPI CD-ROM drive and the PCI ethernet board.  I've
found pci/if_vx.c and if_vxreg.h in the -current sources.  My questions
are:

1. what do I put into my config file to specify that device?

2. can I expect to successfully add that device to a -stable kernel,
or should I get all the -current sources and build a -current kernel?

and 3. if I need a -current kernel, do I also need a -current userland?

I'm hoping I can build something that will work with that ethernet board
on my -stable machine, because I don't want to have to install all the
sources on that machine.  I suppose if I could wait until the next
CD-ROM release comes out it would have the driver....

--
Ted Spradley   tsprad@metronet.com
Information tends to drive out knowledge.  [...] many people cannot