Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 1998 17:10:04 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        khansen@njcc.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fast EtherLink XL NIC

> Sorry, I guess I dozed off in the middle of the "Which NIC is Fastest"
> debate, and I find myself now looking at the latest 3Com card that is
> available for $45 from 3Com (at 1-888-906-3COM (ext. 128) - is this
> a good, high-performance card for a 100MB/s network? I am curious with
> its performance relative to, say, a NetGear FA-310TX at about the same
> price ($35 +/-)?

NO!

At this point in time, DO NOT purchase or plan to purchase any 3Com
PCI adapter for use with FreeBSD on 100Mb/s networks.

Whilst some of the adapters may indeed posess high-performance
features, FreeBSD does not support these features.  Your performance
will *SUCK*.

> Thanks in advance (and sorry for stirring up the pot again!),

Please consider consulting the FreeBSD mailing list archives at
www.freebsd.org before asking questions like this.  8)