Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 16:56:01 +0800 (WST)
From:      David May <mayd@cygnus.uwa.edu.au>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [Q] Problem running xconsole under FreeBSD 3.2 on remote X display.

I posted a message on the same problem recently. There were two responses
but I believe they were incorrect.  I apologize for the length of this
post but I wanted  to identify the problem as precisely as possible.

To restate the problem:

I used to be able to run my X sessions remotely under FreeBSD 2.2.8 with
VNC 3.3.3 and the xconsole application worked. Since I upgraded to FreeBSD
3.2 xconsole does not work on a remote display. It displays an error
message "could not open console". However, xconsole does still work when I
run the XFree86 X server on a local display (on the machine console). The
problem occurs even when I run xconsole as root, on a remote X display.

Here is some further information relating to the problem.  I have included
two files of output from truss for xconsole.  The first is the trace from
xconsole run on a remote display (tandoori:1), which fails. The second is
the trace from xconsole run on the local display (unix:0), which works.
The same user is logged in on both displays.

I do not know much about the FreeBSD kernel but the results seem to
confirm that permissions are not a problem. This error does not even seem
to be related to X.  The error looks like it is occurring in the ioctl
system call with parameter TIOCCONS. That is the only significant
difference I can see between the two traces. The return code 16 ("Device
Busy") from the ioctl looks mysterious to me.

I hope someone can shed some light on this and help me to resolve it.
I rely on the display in xconsole to keep me informed about what is
happening on our  network here.

Xconsole.truss.VNC (tandoori:1) :

... (lines deleted)

syscall stat("/dev/console",0xbfbfd6f0)
        returns 0 (0x0)
syscall getuid()
        returns 1001 (0x3e9)
syscall access(0x8049fda,0x6)
        returns 0 (0x0)
syscall open("/dev/ptyp0",2,027757753764)
        errno 5 'Input/output error'

... (lines deleted)

syscall open("/dev/ptypa",2,027757753764)
        errno 5 'Input/output error'
syscall open("/dev/ptypb",2,027757753764)
        returns 4 (0x4)
syscall open("/dev/ttypb",2,027757753764)
        returns 5 (0x5)
syscall ioctl(5,TIOCCONS,0xbfbfd6ec)
        errno 16 'Device busy'
syscall ioctl(3,FIONREAD,0xbfbfcea0)
        returns 0 (0x0)
syscall write(3,0x8054000,764)
        returns 764 (0x2fc)

xconsole.truss.XF86 (unix:0) :

... (lines deleted)

syscall stat("/dev/console",0xbfbfd79c)
        returns 0 (0x0)
syscall getuid()
        returns 1001 (0x3e9)
syscall access(0x8049fda,0x6)
        returns 0 (0x0)
syscall open("/dev/ptyp0",2,027757754240)
        returns 7 (0x7)
syscall open("/dev/ttyp0",2,027757754240)
        returns 8 (0x8)
syscall ioctl(8,TIOCCONS,0xbfbfd798)
        returns 0 (0x0)
syscall getdtablesize()
        returns 64 (0x40)
syscall fcntl(0x7,0x3,0x0)
        returns 2 (0x2)
syscall select(0x8,0xbfbfd570,0xbfbfd5f0,0xbfbfd670,0xbfbfd71c)
        returns 0 (0x0)