Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2001 22:24:17 +0100
From:      Danny Pansters <danny@ricin.com>
To:        jun chen <chenjun@hefei.cngb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: some questions

Hi,

There are no operators here, its a volunteer mailinglist for and by FreeB=
SD=20
users, some of which are well-known professionals.=20

>    We'r compiling the kernel of the FreeBSD 4.2 releases,steps like
> this:
> 1.copy /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT to mykernel

You should start from the GENERIC configuration and edit that one. LINT i=
s=20
not for editing, as the comments at the start of the file state.

> 2.edit and modify some parameters in the file of mykernel,such as:
>
> maxusers  256
> options         "MAXMEM=3D(512*1024)"
> options         "MAXDSIZ=3D(512*1024*1024)"
> options         "DFLDSIZ=3D(512*1024*1024)"
> options         NMBCLUSTERS=3D4096
>
> 3.then compile successfully and replace new kernel to the kernel file i=
> the root directory.

It actually compiled?

> We think it's ok,when it is rebooted,the server can't load the new
> kernel and reboot again.

I'm not surprised.

Please follow the guidelines in the handbook for configuring and compilin=
g a=20
custom kernel, http://www.freebsd.org/handbook

Good luck,

Danny