Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 2002 16:03:08 -0500
From:      andrew.boring@MillerZell.com
To:        daleco@daleco.biz, zopewiz@yahoo.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Junior hacker assignment :o

I'm going out on a limb here, but there is an article in SysAdmin magazine
that discusses the idea of a "halted firewall" on Linux:
http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1824/sam0201d/0201d.htm

The idea is that even when you issue a "shutdown -h" command and it says the
system is halted the kernel, scheduler and memory manager are still running,
but interactive processes that could possibly cause it do start doing stuff
like writing to disk are not. A quote:

  "When the machine is halted, the kernel still resides in memory,
  even when the machine runs through the shutdown process. [...]
  However, the kernel is still running as a scheduler and memory
  manager at that point. [...] Because the kernel is still running,
  any kernel-based tasks that we can run in normal use can be run
  while halted."

You just need some form of input/output to/from the kernel and seriel port
for your UPS.

I don't know enough about kernel hacking on Linux or FreeBSD and the article
only messed around with the shutdown scripts, but this might be a useful
starting point.

--
Andrew Boring, Senior Network Engineer
Miller Zell