Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2011 09:59:28 -0500
From:      David Lapsley <dl99@me.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Developing Embedded Network Device on FreeBSD

After a little more research ...

On Feb 19, 2011, at 9:04 AM, David wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> I am new to FreeBSD development (I've done some work on NetBSD, but mostly
> on Linux).
>
> I am developing a COTS-based network appliance. After doing my research, I've decided to
> use FreeBSD as my development platform. I would like to get my development environment
> to the point where I can build a single ISO image that will contain OS and application
> ready to install. After reading through the handbook, porter's guide, and googling, I think I have
> a rough idea of how to do this, but I still have some gaps in how I set this up.
>
> My current understanding is that all of the application specific, user land software should
> reside in the ports tree. I have two questions with respect to this:
>
> 1. If I don't want to publish my software, how do I manage the source (do I just generate a tarball
> on my build machine and place it in DISTDIR?).

After reading Chapter 11 of "Absolute FreeBSD, 2nd Edition" (very helpful!), it seems like
"make package" is my friend in this case. I've created a "packages" directory in /usr/ports
so that my software and dependancies will be packaged and placed in this directory.

>From there, it seems like it should be fairly straightforward to have these incorporated
into the ISO build. Then I can do OS install from the ISO build, followed by a pkg_add
(with appropriate environment variables set) to install the binary packages.

This seems workable. I'm not sure if it is the Right way to do it. I'd appreciate any
thoughts/comments on this.

Thanks,

David.