Date:      Mon, 22 Aug 2016 15:36:50 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?Vin=C3=ADcius_Zavam?= <egypcio@googlemail.com>
Cc:        Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com>, Andriy Voskoboinyk <avos@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Net <net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: iwn(4) association issues in 11-Stable (and maybe RC)

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 12:21 PM, Vin=C3=ADcius Zavam < <kob6558@gmail.com>
egypcio@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> On 20 August 2016 at 19:02, Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > On Aug 20, 2016 6:29 PM, "Adrian Chadd" <adrian.chadd@gmail.com> wrote=
:

>> code.

>> > One more note. There are multiple "link up" messages in the log. The L=
ED
>> > never stopped the flashing which indicates that it is not associated.
>> If I
>> > did "ifconfig wlan0 list aps", my hot spot was listed, but a simple
>> > "ifconfig wlan0" never showed an association. Usually a few "netif
>> restart"s
>> > will get it to work, but sometimes it seems hopeless. It seems worse
>> when my
>> > phone is the hot spot than with my home router.
>>
>> I've not seen this happen with any of the iwn hardware that I have,
>> but wifi is odd like that.
>>
>> it looks like wpa_supplicant is started twice. Is that happening? That
>> (sigh) still may be making things unhappy.
>>

>> -adrian
>>

> since freebsd 11.0-current I am using my TP x201's wifi stuff w/o any
> trouble. now it's running 12 with the very same comfort. it has an iwn...
> 6200, I think. // but I did see people trying to use a 2230, and getting
> nothing from it.
>

> --
> Vin=C3=ADcius Zavam
> keybase.io/egypcio/key.asc

I can now say that it IS dependent on the AP. On my home unit, it often
associates on the first try and ALMOST always on the second. With the
hotspot on my Galaxy S5 phone, it almost never associates on the first try
and usually takes three or four tries, but I keep seeing "link state
changed to UP" messages followed by "link state changed to DOWN". Over s
single second I logged an UP followed by in a row followed by three cycles
of UP and DOWN in one second and an UP that actually was UP. the next boot
I got 4 UP/DOWN cycles (no double UP) but it gave up at this point. Then I
did a "netif restart wlan0" and ti came up. Next boot had 8 UP/DOWN, but
never actually appeared to associate.

I am not seeing symptoms of the wpa_supplicant issue. The sample I included
in the original message had the only repeat wpa_supplicant message. It is
certainly not behaving like it did the last time I saw the that issue.

None of these problems were seen with 10.3.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com