Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 15:29:18 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd box as a porn filter?

--hHWLQfXTYDoKhP50

* Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com> [20010724 15:11]: writing on the subject 'R=
e: freebsd box as a porn filter?'
Bill> > >> Dear FreeBSD,
Bill> > >>
Bill> > >> I'm relatively new to Unix.  A good friend of mine has converted=
 me to
Bill> > >> FreeBSD, and I'm enjoying it.
Bill> > >> I do have a question-  as the administrator of a small network, =
I'm
Bill> > >> wondering if it's possible to set up FreeBSD on a box and have it
Bill> > >> perform filtering of pornography.  I realise that I can set up a=
 FreeBSD
Bill> > >> box to perform packet filtering (although I still need to figure=
 out how
Bill> > >> to do that, exactly).  But I'd like to prohibit nodes on our net=
work
Bill> > >> from viewing pornographic material, and a few other general webs=
ites.  I
Bill> > >> do not have an external 'router' per se - We have an ISDN connec=
tion to
Bill> > >> our ISP (which does not provide filtering).
Bill> > >>
Bill> > >> I've looked at available hardware designed specifically for spam=
 and
Bill> > >> porn filtering for networks, but the price of the hardware is to=
o high
Bill> > >> for my small network of 15 nodes and 2 servers.
Bill>=20
Bill> You know, I wasn't paying much attention to this thread, but the solu=
tion
Bill> is very simple. I've seen one client do it and it works fine.
Bill> First, establish a written policy that work computers are for work, p=
eriod.
Bill> And establish a written policy for punishments for viewing potentially
Bill> offensive material on company computers. This leaves nothing to be qu=
estioned.
Bill> Then put up a squid proxy (which is a good idea anyway, for the sake =
of
Bill> optimizing your existing bandwidth) and make it public that you're lo=
gging
Bill> *everything* that people do on their computers, in compliance with the
Bill> written policy.
Bill> Then, after a month or so, do a text search through the logs for words
Bill> like "porn", "sex", etc. Track down the IPs of who did it, and deal w=
ith
Bill> them in accordance to the written policy. We only had to approach 1 p=
erson,
Bill> after that, word got out that the policy was serious and we haven't s=
een
Bill> anything in the logs since.
Bill> It takes a very short amount of time to check the logs each month, an=
d even
Bill> less time if there are no violations.

Inasmuch as this one is effective, I am sure this guys wasn't looking for
a 'military' way of achieving it ;-)=20
BTW Bill, what your rank? Captain? Sgt Major? <LOL>
<Just to lighten up things>

-Wash
--
Odhiambo Washington
Wananchi Online Ltd.,

You can never plan the future by the past.=20
-Edmund Burke=20

--hHWLQfXTYDoKhP50

--hHWLQfXTYDoKhP50--