Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 1996 00:36:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Craig Shaver" <craig@ProGroup.COM>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: troubles with vi in telnet session

> Hi,
>
> This may sound a very stupid question, but I am really stuck. I have installed
> FreeBSD 2.2 SNAP-960323 on a machine at work. To do something profitable I
> telnet to another system running Unixware. I run into trouble when try to
> edit any file with `vi(1)': it doesn't want to scroll the text and simply
> overwrites the new line at bottom. I have tried changing TERM, using new termcap
> entries from both the remote system and Linux, and messing with `vi' settings,
> but no luck. May I have missed any point?
> Any hint would be highly appreciated. TIA.
>

> 					Jesus A. Mora
> 					amora@obelix.cica.es

Have you tried other OS's with different results?  I do not know about
Unixware, I gave up on it a couple of years ago.  I use rlogin and telnet
to other machines and set the term to xterm, since I always use X.  I can
set rows and columns using stty.  Try a man stty and see if you can set
rows and columns to make it work.  Failing that, I would try to install
a terminfo on Unixware that matches the term you are using.

--
Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088