Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 2000 18:05:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   smbus PCI device?

I'm trying to understand this iic/smbus stuff in order to write
a driver for some new hardware. The PCI bus shows this device:

    found-> vendor=0x8086, dev=0x2413, revid=0x02
	    class=0c-05-00, hdrtype=0x00, mfdev=0
                  ^^^^^^^^
	    subordinatebus=0        secondarybus=0
	    intpin=b, irq=10
	    map[20]: type 1, range 32, base 0000fe00, size  4

The class/sub-class/programming interface (highlighted above)
indicates a SMBus device as specified by PCI 2.2.

However, I'm not sure what that is. Adding the "smbus" device and
friends to the kernel config doesn't cause this device to be
detected.  You'd think all I needed to do then would be to add the
device ID to a list in the smbus driver somewhere, but I can't find
that list. Does "smbus_pci.c" not exist yet?

Of course, you can't download the PCI 2.2 spec without being a
"member".

Am I going down the right path trying to write a driver for
this device?

Thanks,
-Archie