Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 21:46:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Charlie ROOT <root@utility.clubscholarship.com>
To:        <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   I am running out of PTYs and I shouldn't be.

I have recompiled my kernel with:

maxusers	128

And have confirmed that that is indeed the case by checking the value in
`sysctl`.

Further, in addition to the 16 pty device files that come in /dev by
default, I have created all 256 of them by running the commands:

`sh MAKEDEV ptyX` (where X is each of the numbers 1 through 7)

And I have verified that all those devices are there, and have reasonable
major/minor numbers with the `ls` command.

So I am rather confused that I am running out of PTYs - I get an error
message from `screen` "No More PTYs." - and I am nowhere near to using up
all the PTYs.  I have a total of 307 processes on the machine, of which
roughly 100 are httpd processes, add to that another 20 or so for system
items, and you are left with a worst case scenario of about 180 PTYs in
use.

However, in reality, most of the other processes are other daemons and
programs.  I suspect I am using _maybe_ 32 or so PTYs.

----

I have set up a laptop to test, and did the same things to it - set
maxusers to 128, and built all the PTY devices in /dev, and I kept
creating new screens over and over until I hit about 240 of them and the
machine crashed....so what gives ?  Why am I hitting a very low wall with
PTYs on this machine ?

I am happy to give out more information about the machine, just not sure
what else would be useful.

Many thanks,

PT