Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 12:00:30 +0300
From:      "Andy V. Oleynik" <andyo@prime.net.ua>
To:        Victor M <vit@gus.orgus.ru>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: modem

I have same situation. And after consulting with a lot of experts and
investigating by myself I've got an answer- "If CD is up - no software
tools to reset sticky modem but the hardware reset". Some of guys
made an hardware/software equipment that recognizes sticky modem
and makes hardware reset automatically. Their cost is to big for my pocket
:)
Victor M wrote:

> My FreeBSD2.2.8 serves as a terminal server for the dialup clients using
> ppp protocol. For that I run daemon pppd (not tunnel ppp).
>
> The question is is it possible to reset the modem directly from shell
> without powering it off?
>  These modems (analog Courier V.34) sometimes sticks, that is not put the
> receiver down after the connection is terminated and I want to reset them
> automatically.
>
> Victor.

WBW  Andy V. Oleynik            (When U work in virtual office
prime.net.ua's                   U have good chance to obtain
system administrator             virtual money ö%-)
+380442448363