Date:      Sun, 1 Sep 1996 22:32:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jim Riffle <jriffle@ns.kconline.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: large files in /stand

On Sun, 1 Sep 1996, Jim Riffle wrote:

>      One day I decided to copy my / partition onto a different drive.
> Amazingly enough, cp worked and everything seemed to function okay after
> rebooting.  I also did a "make world" to fix any problems this may have
> created for me.

Ugh.  Use tar, dump, or cp -R to make sure the permissions are copied
properly.  Since you make worlded, you sort of nullified your coping
anyway, so you'll live :-)

> There is no real problem except for the files in my /stand directory are
> huge.  A ls -l in /stand gives results like this:
>
> -r-xr-xr-x   1 root  bin    802816 Nov 18  1995 chmod
> -r-xr-xr-x   1 root  bin    802816 Nov 18  1995 chown
> -r-xr-xr-x   1 root  bin    802816 Nov 18  1995 cksum

This is perfectly normal.  /stand is really a gigantic hardlinked binary.
If you want, you can just delete it if it annoys you.

> And a du /stand gives this:
>
> 204	/stand/help
> 13	/stand/etc
> 2	/stand/info/proflibs
> 5	/stand/info/des
> 2	/stand/info/games
> 2	/stand/info/manpages
> 3	/stand/info/bin
> 2	/stand/info/dict
> 2	/stand/info/info
> 18	/stand/info/src
> 37	/stand/info
> 43884	/stand
>
> This isn't a real problem, but I sure could use those extra 40 megs it has
> claimed.

No, it's more like a meg or so.  It's counting each binary as 802k, which
they aren't.

> What I was woundering was, what would happen if I were just to delete
> those files in /stand?  Or, could I delete them and then link then back to
> the appropriate files with ln?  I guess, I really just do not know what
> signifiance these files in /stand have, and wanted to make sure I don't
> try to do anything which could bring my system down.

/stand is a default set of binaries, handy if your /bin directory gets
blown up.  But you don't necessarily need it.