Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 22:31:47 -0700
From:      "David Anderson" <DRCAnderson@xtra.co.nz>
To:        "FreeBSD Mail List" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   pppd not bringing up acc call - How to check serial port?

howdy
I am trying to bring up an asynchronous call control connection
using bsd pppd with command line as follows:
$pppd /dev/ttyd0 9600 1.1.1.1:1.1.1.2

I have a straight thru patch cable attatched back to back with my
router - serial port to port1 (port 0 of router is management
port).
I have management of router via windows box.

Below is the router script. I have tested cable and plug combo's
and everything works. I have run this before using Linux box and
different router so I am confident of the script and pppd syntax,
but it is not working on this setup (I have tried both routers I
have here so I think routers are fine). Can someone tell me how
do I check the functionality of my bsd serial com port?
dmesg notes sio0 and sio1 at port address's and gives types but
where do I find or how do I test whether my serial ports are
actually working? I have only the bsd binaries on the machine and
are working ala telnet command line mode. Any suggestions?

 # pppsacc.scp - receiving acc call using ppp

set system name=Router_A
set man po=0
ena ip

set po=1 speed=9600 cdc=connect flow=hard
add acc call=e-1 po=1 dir=answer authen=none encap=ppp
create ppp=0 over=acc-e-1 idle=on ipreq=on
ena ip remote

add ip int=ppp0 ip=1.1.1.2