Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 1996 13:58:32 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        tcg@ime.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: makeing world

> I read someplace that it's best to drop into single user mode
> to make world, Is this fact?

I suppose it is - you have the system (and all its resources) to
yourself, and you avoid potential "sawing off the branch you're
sitting on" problems when it starts re-installing things.

(Although I have successfully made the world in multi-user mode
without any apparent problems).

> If so, How does one log the make process.
> I would normally do: make <whatever> |& tee make.err
> This don't work in single user mode. (Unless I did something wrong)

If you got

Syntax error: "&" unexpected

this is because sh is the default shell for single-user mode and it
doesn't understand C shell syntax. Either do

(make world | tee make.err) &

or just enter "csh" when it asks you which shell to use (instead of
pressing the return key, which is presumably what you're doing now).

> I'm having problems making world, It keeps crashing and I don't
> get a chance to see the screen before it re-boots and eats
> my source tree.

Any clues in /var/log/messages?

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland