Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 13:18:50 +0000
From:      setantae <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@atkielski.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: home pc use
References:  <3BF9B12B.3D521A4D@nycap.rr.com> <0111191831240Q.60958@chip.wiegand.org> <20011119220243.A268@prayforwind.com> <009a01c171a9$4eedbee0$0a00000a@atkielski.com> <20011120023948.A92409@xor.obsecurity.org> <00df01c171b0$2a938be0$0a00000a@atkielski.com> <20011120105642.GA75918@rhadamanth> <012d01c171b6$96b5adc0$0a00000a@atkielski.com> <20011120114236.GA76431@rhadamanth> <005f01c171bf$c4d06b10$0a00000a@atkielski.com>

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 01:34:53PM +0100, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Ceri writes:
>
> > It's a window manager.
> > Try it, it's in the ports tree.
>
> Maybe some other time.  I've had my fill of window managers for the time being.

See below.

> > Yes, FreeBSD is suited for server use, but I
> > find it perfectly adequate for my dekstop needs
> > as well.
>
> It may be, if your needs are very limited.  I have more than 100 applications
> that I use on Windows, though, and there is just no way to get the equivalent on
> FreeBSD--nor do I have any motivation to try to do so.  Why would I want a clone
> of Windows?  I already _have_ Windows.

Who said anything about cloning Windows ?
I said that FreeBSD is perfectly good for me as a workstation.
I never mentioned Windows.

> > As an aside, although most of your arguments are
> > generally reasonable, I am astonished at the sweeping
> > comments that you make on this list when your
> > experience is clearly severely limited with FreeBSD
> > and (it seems) Unix-like systems in general.
>
> There's no magic in FreeBSD.  It's an OS like any other, and I've seen lots of
> operating systems.  Do not assume that a lack of knowledge of individual
> commands or structures in FreeBSD on my part is in any way an indication of
> general ignorance concering the function and design of operating systems.  When
> you've seen one or two dispatchers, you've seen them all.
>
> The fundamental architecture of UNIX is very well know, even by people who don't
> use it.  After all, it has been around for thirty years, and it's pretty
> straightforward.  It is thus very easy and valid to make "sweeping comments"
> concerning UNIX, whether or not one happens to be one of the world's five
> greatest experts on the system.

According to the archives, you installed FreeBSD on 31st Oct, 2001.
You then proceeded to ask what portmap was.
You were amazed that one needs a different kernel to enable SMP.
You never heard of the rehash command in csh.

These are not FreeBSD specific problems.

All of these are things that one could expect from someone with only 3 weeks
experience of an OS, but I honestly think that you would benefit from doing
some background reading.

Another thing that really bugs me is :

You come here and basically say ``All window managers suck.''
(ok, I'm paraphrasing).

I suggest a window manager that doesn't suck, and you say ``I've had my fill''.

I am politely suggesting that you actually try some of the alternatives
before writing them all off.

> > I'd honestly suggest that you get a system that you
> > don't use in production and play with FreeBSD on it.
> > Yes, play.
>
> That's what I'm doing now with my FreeBSD machine.  It has no production on it.
> However, I still try to run it like a production system, because that's the goal
> of using any operating system, over the long term.  Production objectives impose
> constraints that force you to try harder; it's much more difficult to get a
> system in shape for production use than to just "play" with it endlessly.

If you seriously wish to use FreeBSD in a production environment, then it's
even more important that you familiarise yourself with the system : how to
upgrade it, how to install new software, how to get the sources, how it is
different from other systems, how it is similar to other systems.
You don't seem prepared to do this.

There is a handbook that a good body of people have spent and so spend a
considerable amount of manhours writing.
I *know* that you haven't taken the time to read it.
If you took a day off from posting to the list then I'm sure you could
get through it :
	http://www.freeBSD.org/handbook/index.html

Ceri

--