Date:      Sat, 8 Mar 1997 23:35:14 -0600 (CST)
From:      Neal Rigney <neal@pernet.net>
To:        "matthew c. mead" <mmead@goof.com>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, julian@whistle.com, tom@sdf.com, isp@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd as a news server?

> 	Hmm, the disks are far from slow.  They're 9G micropolis
> SCSI-II fast, "ultra wide" disks.  There is, however, one bus.

BIG problem there!  If I remember Joe Greco's advice, you should have AT
LEAST two/three busses.  I put history and spool on seperate busses(I'm
poor, I can't afford 15 SCSI controllers :)

> There's only 5 drives on it.  I'm interested in figuring out
> what's wrong with the layout.  I've got the striping factor set
> to 255 blocks (per a suggestion in the docs for ccd).  I'll try

I've got the interleave set to 1k.  I fiddled with the setting a little,
and found 1k appeared to give the best performance.  If I remember
correctly, you want the "average" article to fit in one interleave.  I
may be way off on that though.  With the interleave set to 1k, we're able
to keep up with a releatively full feed (we don't get de.* and a couple
non-english hierarchies).  We've got SCSI time to burn it appears.  No
problem receiving the feed.  Note, however, that we don't have many
active feeds out(ok, only 1 "full" feed), and we have a relatively low
reader count(we max out at about 45).  On the other hand, we don't
anywhere NEAR enough drive space(5G now, adding 4 next week).  But
overall, I don't have any problems.  Our response time is good, and the
system's not hiccupped in about 6 months.  BTW:  We're running 2.1.6
now.  I don't think 2.1.6 does noatime though(maybe I'm just being dense
here?)

--
Neal Rigney, PERnet Communications, (409)729-4638
neal@mail.pernet.net