Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 96 14:55:27 EDT
From:      gtc@aloft.att.com (gary.corcoran)
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, mgessner@aristar.com
Subject:   Re:  WinModems and FreeBSD

Regarding:
>  I'd like to know if anyone knows why modems like the WinModem from USR
>or Supra 288i PnP don't work with other OS's?  The modem accepts
>commands from the host, not the other way around, so the modem cannot
>know what the host OS is unless there is some specific software you have to
>run to "open" the modem up.  Is this the case?

The Supra 288i PNP may be a different case, but the USR WinModem I believe
is one of the "controller-less" modems.  That is, to save a few bucks, they
removed the controller CPU from the card, and replace its functionality
by a VxD - a Windows-specific Virtual device Driver.  That means that
the "modem" is useless without its VxD, which of course only runs on
Windows.  So you may as well forget about running it on any other operating
system.   Sorry, but you'll have to buy a "real" modem (with a controller)...

Gary