Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 1996 08:58:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave Walton <dwalton@psiint.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        wes@intele.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Booting off SCSI disks when two IDE disks also installed.

On Sun, 24 Mar 1996, Michael Smith wrote:

> wes@intele.net stands accused of saying:
> >
> > I've recently added an Adaptec SCSI controller to my system, which
> > already has two IDE drives.  I would like to boot FreeBSD from the
> > SCSI disk, but this doesn't seem to be working.  I'm certain I have
>
> That's because it's impossible.  You can only boot from the first two
> disks in your system.  This is basically a BIOS limitation.

That's not strictly true.  I have an Adaptec 2842 running sd0, sd1, and
sd2.  I boot DOS from sd0 and FreeBSD from sd2 using OSBS-Beta.  I don't
have IDE, so I don't know how that complicates the situation, though.

> > I've also tried both booteasy and OS-BS.  Any help?

Try OSBS-Beta.

Dave

David Walton                                     Unix Programmer
PSI INTERNATIONAL, Inc.                          email: dwalton@psiint.com
190 South Orchard #C200                          Fax  :(707)451-6484
Vacaville, CA 95688                              Phone:(707)451-3503