Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 08:38:40 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        junichi@astec.co.jp (Satoh Junichi)
Cc:        jeays@statcan.ca, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATAPI Zip drive

> > wfd0: medium type unknown (no disk)  ## There WAS a disk in it! ##
>
> No problem. The wfd driver always says so when it found the ATAPI ZIP
> drive. I have to add code to probe ZIP correctly. (^^;

The problem here is that the Zip is fairly unhelpful when it comes to
telling you what's in the drive.  In this case, the message should
probably not be printed.

> > When I attempt to mount either the CD-ROM or the ZIP drive, mount
> > hangs, and I have to interrupt it with ctrl-C.  If I do this
> > a second time, the system crashes.  (X stops.  Attempts to
> > log on through another tty don't work - characters entered after
> > the login prompt just get echoed to the screen.  It is big red
> > switch time!)
>
> Hmm...  I don't know why.
> I'll test if the ZIP drive works well with a CD-ROM drive.

The problem is that the ATAPI Zip drive doesn't coexist well with our
ATAPI code and a CDROM.  The Zip has highlighted a number of problems
with the way we do ATAPI, and this is one of them.

You can try moving the Zip and CDROM to separate IDE channels, which
should cure your problem.

> > If I disconnect the CD-ROM and make the Zip drive the master,
> > things seems a tiny bit better.  When I attempt a disklabel, I get:
> >
> > /home/mike% disklabel -r -w wfd0 auto
> > disklabel: /dev/rwfd0c: Undefined error: 0
> > The light on the drive blinks once.
> It occurs when the ZIP disk has incorrect fdisk informatinos.
> You need to execute 'fdisk wfd0' and create the FreeBSD slice on the
> first time.

You can do this another way:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/wfd0 count=16
# disklabel -rwB wfd0 auto