Date:      Sun, 4 Jan 2004 22:24:07 +0200
From:      Kyryll A Mirnenko <mirya@ukrpost.net>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Writing SOFTWARE Synthesizer

>You can re-compile the src, changing NO_FULL_DUPLEX to FULL_DUPLEX in
>file
>j2se/src/solaris/native/com/sun/media/sound/engine/HAE_API_BSDOS.c

  That should work on Java@anymachine, not only on FreeBSD. I have
Windows (Meeee) & FreeBSD on my machine, both with java. Official
pages say Java's distibuted with software synth. for every platform,
but on Windows it also has a hardware card front-end.
  Browsing the classes in rt.jar make me think that software synth.
they're talking about's written in native code.
  /jre/lib/audio contains pathsets (banks) in their internal format,
for now I do not need to understand it, but to make MidiSystem produce
the sound back to me, not to hardware system.