Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 17:23:10 -0700
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        <alk@pobox.com>, <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: swap-related problems

> I think Andrew Reilly's suggestion of having malloc
> mmap it's own store file pretty well moots this disagreement.
> I can scarcely believe I didn't think of it in the first place.

	You are assuming that malloc is the only overcommit case. I do not believe
this is true. I believe that fork can cause an overcommit too. Likewise,
even simply running multiple copies of the same executable causes an
overcommit case.

	This may solve something, but it's not the general overcommit problem.

	DS