Date:      Sat, 7 Jun 2014 14:54:00 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   PRs included in release

I encountered what I thought was an unusual situation, although it just =
may be that I don't understand something.  I have a system that was =
originally installed 9.2 Release.  It wouldn't find the NIC and hence =
couldn't work.  Someone here told me I needed to get the patches from a =
couple PRs and install them and the NIC would work.  This was about a =
year ago.  As they indicated, those patches fixed the problem and the =
system has worked properly ever since.

However, there are a number of security fixes that have been issued for =
9.0 and I was really hesitant to upgrade (freebsd-update) as I suspected =
that there would be an issue with those patches not being included.  =
Anyway, I decided to try the update and sure enough on reboot the NIC =
didn't get recognized or configured.  Fortunately freebsd-update include =
a very handy rollback function that does exactly what I expected.  I was =
down for only a few minutes.

The question then becomes how do I know if the patches for a specific PR =
are included in a security release? I am guessing that those patches =
will be included in 9.3, but I would like some way to check before =
attempting an update.  Most of my systems do not have the system source =
as I try to use generic kernels wherever possible.  Freebsd-update is =
much more convenient than a complete system rebuild.