Date:      Tue, 02 Jan 2001 16:45:22 -0500
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD + Mylex DAC960 (RAID 1) + DEC Prioris HX 6000 Server will not  recognize boot record for some reason

This machine is an Intel Pentium Pro based system, (not a DEC Alpha), it
currently has one 200mhz 512K CPU, 196megs RAM, (4 x 32edo simms, 4 x
16edo simms), and two 4.5Gig SCSI disks in hot-swappable drive carriages
configured using RAID 1 (mirrored), attached to a Mylex DAC960P/PD
dual-channel controller. I have flashed the firmware of the controller
card to 3.52, as reccomended during the dmesg prompts (the card
initially had < 3.51). The problem seems to be with booting, I have
tried several installs; all seem to partition fine except for
'dangerously dedicated'. After an install using a 4.4Gig root, and an
80meg swap, (leaving 20megs un-partitioned at the end of the drive), the
system will not boot. If I boot off of the installation floppies, I can
mount/view the files on the drive. This leaves me thinking it's got to
have something to do with FreeBSD's MBR.
	Having problems booting; the system installs to the mylex system drive
fine, but when I reboot, I get the FreeBSD boot MGR, and it only beeps
when I press F1 for FreeBSD. If I install using a normal boot record,
the system reports 'No operating system found'. I'm thinking it may be
an issue with the Mylex card, but I don't know for sure if the system's
bios could cause this either. I cannot attempt to install the mylex card
in another machine; as the drives attached to it are in a hot-swap
carriage which is part of the system's chassis.
	On a hunch, I tried re-partitioning and installing MsDos; maybe the
RAID configuration isn't bootable at all I figured; but it partitioned
fine, and booted properly. I then tried installing NT, and now Linux.
All three had no problems, and all three booted fine. Seeing as how the
other O/S's all installed/worked fine; I'm assuming this is just a
software issue. Maybe with the bios of the Raid controller, or maybe
with the system bios, has anyone else run into similar problems? Am I
just missing something blatenly obvious? Does FreeBSD not boot from a
mirrored volume (if so... why not)?
	I've only ever done one other server install with FreeBSD, and a Mylex
Raid controller; it booted fine. It was using an AcceleRAID PCI 150
card, with foud 9.1gig SCSIUW's in a RAID 5 configuration. It went fine
with no hitches, (cept that it took like 1hr to newfs). However, this is
a different controller, and having little to no experience working with
RAID controllers I figured I'd ask.
	Baring no absolute solutions, or better partial ones from this mailing
list, I'm going to install Linux on a 200meg partition, and attempt to
install FreeBSD on the rest and boot it using Lilo (don't know if it's
going to work...but it's worth a try).

--
Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com