Date:      Tue, 14 May 2002 10:52:12 -0400
From:      "Miroslav Pendev" <shadow@CPE0004761ac738-CM00109515bc65.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com>
To:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ipfw + nat + port_redirect - works, but not for the internal net

Hi Guys!

I have FreeBSD 4.5 RELEASE as Firewall with two NICs:

xl0 - external interface
xl1 - internal interface

ipfw and natd + port_redirect works just fine!

My problem is that when someone from the internal network
is trying to hit external_IP:redirected_port, the redirection
is not working for him - connection refused.
It works only for host from outside (Internet).

For simplicity lets assume that the firewall type is *open*.

What rules to ipfw or natd I need in order to permit
the port redirection to works for the internal hosts, also?

I RTFM, I search the archives but I didn't found a clear
answer to that situation.

This is common problem to the corporate servers behind
firewalls_with_natd_and_redirected_port and probably deserve
to be into FreeBSD handbook - otherwise, good documentation!

There is some security concerns *is port_redirection a good idea
at all*, but that's it I need this working - don't ask why ;-)

Thanks in advance!

--Miro