Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 1995 10:58:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Don's FList drop" <freelist@elf.kendall.mdcc.edu>
To:        rhh@ct.picker.com
Cc:        questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: (?) RJ45 Crossover Cable Question (Pin numbering)

You can look in the FAQ for comp.dcom.lans.ethernet, but I bet this has
all the answers you need...

On Sun, 6 Aug 1995, Randall Hopper wrote:

>      In short, does someone know the convention for numbering the pins on an
> RJ45 cable connector?  If the cable w/ attached connector is held in front of
> you, pins on the near side of the connector and pointing up (cable attached to
> the bottom), are the pins 1-to-8 numbered ascendingly from left-to-right or
> right-to-left?

Liberated from: Linux Ethernet-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.2

                       5 CABLES, COAX, TWISTED PAIR

5.2 Twisted Pair

   If you are only connecting two machines, it is possible to avoid using
   a hub, by swapping the Rx and Tx pairs (1-2 and 3-6).

   If you hold the RJ-45 connector facing you (as if you were going to
   plug it into your mouth) with the lock tab on the top, then the pins
   are numbered 1 to 8 from left to right. The pin usage is as follows:

        Pin Number              Assignment
        ----------              ----------
        1                       Output Data (+)
        2                       Output Data (-)
        3                       Input Data (+)
        4                       Reserved for Telephone use
        5                       Reserved for Telephone use
        6                       Input Data (-)
        7                       Reserved for Telephone use
        8                       Reserved for Telephone use

   Some cards, like the wd8013 can sense reversed polarity, and will
   adjust accordingly. Also note that 3 and 6 must be a twisted pair. If
   you make 3-4 a twisted pair, and 5-6 the other twisted pair, your
   cable may work for lengths less than a metre, but will fail miserably
   for longer lengths.