Date:      Fri, 24 May 1996 16:07:44 -0700
From:      Andrew McRae <amcrae@cisco.com>
To:        dennis@etinc.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The view from here (was Re: ISDN Compression Load on CPU)

dennis@etinc.com (Dennis):
>>Have I said enough bad things about PCs yet?  No, I don't think so.
>>There's also the issue of Quality Control - two words you'll rarely
>>see stuck together in the PC marketplace.  You've got SCSI controllers
>>from Croatia plugged into motherboards from Togo talking to disk
>>drives that were purchased during a $0.10-a-megabyte special the local
>>discount merchant ran.  Several dozen failure-prone variables, at
>>least half of which have probably never been tested in combination.
>
> These are the words of your "leader"?
>
> Most of this is your own fault, for buying cheap unknown cards,
> discouraging and ridiculing commercial vendors for charging for
> things that are worth it and not giving away their work,  and using
> software thats been slapped together by someone who doesnt have
> enough time to spend on it to make it really work well.
>
> All of the routers on the market are just basically PCs, in one form or
> another. Cisco OS is just a hacked up unix os, so what your really saying
> is that the guys at cisco write better code than you do. I think that a lot
> of the people on this list would take exception to that.

I have been following this thread with some interest, and it has
been enlightening to eavesdrop on the various points of view.
I thought the comment about `cisco is the IBM of the networking world'
hits the mark in some ways, but at least cisco
was not called the Microsoft of the Networking world :-)

I am interested in your comment about what the cisco OS is; can
you perhaps expound on this viewpoint?  Is this a statement
from experience or observation?

Cisco's motto and mission is to make the best routers in the world,
and `best' encompasses a wide range of attributes such as
functionality, reliability and performance. *I* know about that
the cisco code is like, because I *look* at it every day.
I am not here to be an apologist for cisco, however, and if
you wish to complain about price or reliability or anything,
whinge to your local SE, not me.

I have also looked at the FreeBSD code, and written some of it.
The biggest problem with FreeBSD is not the software, but the
crappy hardware - and I don't just mean badly designed or
badly made, but the architecture is somewhat lacking.
It seems to be getting better with PCI, and PCI
is also a technology that cisco is using for their own I/O
adaptors. But even then, we use a different connector, and have
extra pins so that hot swap can be supported. And even then
we are pushing the technology to its limit.

Saying that cisco engineers write better code is a specious
argument, and totally ignores the hardware area. Again, *I*
know, because I work with cisco hardware engineers every day,
and I know the effort that goes into *both* hardware and
software to make products viable.

Sure enough, at the low end it is a price war, and perhaps
cisco doesn't own 75% of the market; the access market will
*always* price sensitive, and not as performance and function
driven as mid and high end. But on the other hand, if your
access routers fall over occasionally, or you don't mind
powering it off to replace or install new line cards, then
it's not the end of the world to have downtime.  PC's can be used in
this environment, and FreeBSD is a really good fit here.

For mid range and certainly high end, I can guarantee you
will not be routing 100,000 packets per second on a PC,
however much memory and disc you put in it :-)
And for the core routers of the Internet or in a large
organisation, I suspect that you *would* be fired if
you tried to use anything except a serious dedicated router.

C'mon guys, use the right tool for the job. Don't tell me
you can replace routers with PC's; I would like to see the
PC that can sustain routing of over a million packets per second
like a fully loaded 7513 can. On the other hand, I have yet
to see a router run Doom...

> Dennis

Cheers,
Andrew McRae (amcrae@cisco.com) Disclaimer: my thoughts only.