Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 00:16:02 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Randomized IP ID patch

Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> writes:
> On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 02:46:44AM -0400, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > * Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> [010526 02:38] wrote:
> > > A while back I posted a version of this which was activated by sysctl,
> > > but people didn't like the per-packet performance overhead, so here's
> > > an updated version which uses a compile-time option.  Please review;
> > > I'd like to commit this soon.
> > >

> > This seems pretty cool, I'm suprised you had people objecting to
> > a single check of whether or not to run an external function.
> > (I'd rather see this configurable while the system is running).
>
> Well, I could have done it by switching functions, but people also
> objected to the kernel bloat.  To be fair, this is a pretty minor
> information leak, so many people will not care about it.

If it makes sense to be able to switch it on and off at run-time
(e.g., it may make sense to, say, use it to compare resposne from
something), you can make the sysctl conditional on the compile-time
option.  If Alfred just wanted to be able to switch it on without
recompiling a kernel (e.g., while running GENERIC), this obviously
doesn't help.

Just food for thought, I guess.  I like it either way :-).

Thanks!

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org