Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:09:10 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "Paulo Fonseca Jr." <freezumba@terra.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: configuring Creative SB on Freebsd 5.3

Paulo Fonseca Jr. wrote:

>Sorry, (again)
>
>My kernel was compiled with "device sound" and "device snd_sbc" after install
>a Creative Sound Blaster and verify that my on board soundmax is not
>supported by freebsd (handbook, section sound-setup - Audio devices). Even
>thus, with Creative card, the pcm0 is recognized by dmesg but appears detached
>and /dev/dsp and /dev/sndstat not exist.
>
>any idea?
>
>thanks all,
>Zumba.

Hmm, three drivers exist to run Sound Blasters. You might
try kldload(8)'ing each in turn and trying again.

    [555] Fri 10.Dec.2004 12:03:06
    [kadmin@archangel][/boot/modules]
    ls | grep sb | grep snd
    snd_sb16.ko*
    snd_sb8.ko*
    snd_sbc.ko*

Of course, I'd think that an unsupported onboard chip
is rather rare in 5.X ... but you don't mention what you're
running.

If you installed a Blaster, did you disable the onboard
chip in the BIOS?

You should probably post your `uname -a`, the relevant
sections of dmesg(8), and a step by step listing of actions
you've taken to questions@ if you really want good help,
though :-)

Kevin Kinsey