Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 09:43:38 -0700
From:      Sean Harding <sharding@gutenberg.uoregon.edu>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What tipped the balance

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, David Wolfskill wrote:

> As for FreeBSD... well, here at work is the only time I've used it.  I
> still find PC hardware significantly more challenging than I think any
> hardware has any right to be.

I can certainly agree with that! At work, I admin Solaris and IRIX
machines...There are, of course, difficulties, but the hardware is really
worth the extra money, IMHO. My only (personal) FreeBSD machine is one
that I built from used parts for under $300...Actually, that's my only
piece of PC hardware period. In my house, there are several other FreeBSD
boxes. One is our gateway to the Internet. But those all belong to my
roommaters. I run LinuxPPC on one of my Macs (I'd love to have a *BSD, but
Linux is the only choice), and it's pretty good. At least at the hardware
level, it's about as easy to deal with as any of the Suns we have. Macs
have OpenFirmware, which is *extremely* similar to the rom monitor on the
Suns, which no PC can think of matching.

A little extra $$$ for non-PC hardware is always worth it if you can
afford it.

Now, we just need to get FreeBSD running on some better hardware, and
we'll be set :-)

sean

--
Sean Harding sharding@oregon.uoregon.edu|"It's not a habit, it's cool.