Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 12:20:01 -0500
From:      Harlan Stenn <harlan@compus.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.2.5 resolver problem?

I'm having a problem with the resolver on a 2.2.5 box.

Sendmail is refusing to deliver email to a machine (a-b.foo.com) on the
network, claiming the machine doesn't exist.  Similarly, I can't ping the
machine, nor can I traceroute there.

It works if I ping/traceroute to the IP number.

Both nslookup and dig find the machine JUST FINE!

This situation seems to be happening regardless of how I specify the name of
the machine:

	a-b
	a-b.foo.com
	a-b.foo.com.

Suggestions on how I can figure out what's going on would be greatly
appreciated...