Date:      Sun, 21 Jun 1998 17:53:03 -0700
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Chris Kaiser <kaiserc@fltg.net>, "freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Can't Make

On Fri, 19 June 1998 at 12:21:34 -0400, Chris Kaiser wrote:
> I have been trying to compile ports.  I have written to Greg Lehey
> (trying to use his CFBSD) and Walnut Creek with out result.  I've tried
> doing this creating sym-links.  I've tried this according the handbook
> (p25), Complete FREBSD (p96),  and  his ever growing errata since the
> book was wrong.

I don't normally answer questions to -newbies, but since you mention
my name, I'll make an exception.

> I get the same error everytime.
> As an example; xinvaders
>
> make install (from the xinvaders directory)
>
> /usr/ports/distfiles//xinvaders.tar.gz is a broken symlink
> Perhaps a file system (most likely CD) isn't mounted?
> Please correct problem.
> Error code 1

You're not making it easy for anybody to help you.  First, you claim
"the book was wrong".  Secondly, you don't say what you did to correct
the problem.  Did you mount the CD-ROM?  You wrote me a message after
this one saying that you couldn't get FreeBSD installed *at all*.  I
find it hard to understand how you could have got this far on an
uninstalled system.  I'd say "in addition, you sent a request for help
to -newbies", but I can't see anything in this message which asks for
any specific actions.

I'm currently travelling, so I can't quote all URLs exactly, but you
should check out http://www.lemis.com/newbies.html and Sue Blake's
newbies FAK, which you may be able to find via
http://www.welearn.com.au/ (or Sue may follow up with the correct
URL).  In both of these you'll find the underlying principle "FreeBSD
helps those who help themselves".

> The only way I can install anything is by using pkg_add from the
> packages directory.

This suggests that you do have the CD-ROM mounted.  What directory did
you mount it on?

Greg