Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 1998 17:25:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        (Satoshi Asami) <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl, jdn@acp.qiv.com, blkirk@float.eli.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, grog@lemis.com
Subject:   Re: SCSI Bus redundancy...

On 28-Feb-98 Satoshi Asami wrote:
>  * DPT arrays?  Simple;  you make an ioctl call into the DPT driver, I
> write a
>  * message to the controler, specifying which disk to add to which array,
> the
>  * controller starts a hot rebuild, etc.  The details escape me right
> now, but
>  * I belive it is doable.  Why would you want to do that?  No idea... :-)
>
> This is pointless.
>
> I think it's about time people stop answering the question "can I
> increase the size of an array?" with anything else than "not until we
> have a filesystem to support it."  We're just confusing people.
>
> Satoshi (yeah, ccd can increase the size of the array too, but so what?)

Not really.  There is life in operating systems (Unix in particular -
FreeBSd included) beyond filesystems.  Raw devices are being used, heavily
for many things, including most commercial RDBMS.

Also, filesystems are on the horizon (AFA FreeBSD is concerned) that can
grow and for these one needs a storage medium that can grow.

I do not find extendible storage all that useful, but i do not routinely
maintain large servers that run out of space in the middle of everything
either.