Date:      Tue, 8 Apr 2003 10:06:18 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1050246379.cce31c@mired.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Miguel_Gon=E7alves?= <miguelg@fe.up.pt>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Old version support

In <Pine.LNX.4.33.0304081530380.15997-100000@gnomo.fe.up.pt>, Miguel Go=
n=E7alves <miguelg@fe.up.pt> typed:
> On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > In <Pine.LNX.4.33.0304081414220.13566-100000@gnomo.fe.up.pt>, Migue=
l Gon=E7alves <miguelg@fe.up.pt> typed:
> > > How is it possible to cope with this without installing a current=

> > > version?
> > The only way to ensure support for an open source product is to
> > provide it yourself - either by doing the work yourself, or hiring
> > someone to do it. If you're planning on hiring someone, you might
> But how do I know that my system is vulnerable if I don't have an
> exploit for example?  This would be like fixing I problem that I
> might not have.

It's certainly possible that a patch for a later version may fix a bug
that was introduced in a later version. You just have to live with
that, and check the patch against your version when it comes out. You
can take heart from the fact that code auditing is improving, so this
situation is getting less likely all the time.

=09<mike
--=20
Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>=09=09http://www.mired.org/consulting.html
Independent Network/Unix/Perforce consultant, email for more informatio=
n.