Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 08:32:34 -0500
From:      Jeff <jeff@kreska.org>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        John Murphy <bigotfo@bigfoot.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: starting vncserver in /usr/local/etc/rc.d

Mike Meyer wrote:

> John Murphy writes:
> > I'm trying to get vncserver to start automatically at boot.
>
> Have you carefully considered the security implications of doing this?
> On the face of it, it sounds like you're doing the equivalent of
> logging in as root via telnet (with no encryption). Come to think of
> it, it's probably worse than that - where does vncserver log bad
> password attempts?
>
> If that's the case, it would be much (much, *much*) better to enable
> sshd, then ssh in forwarding the VNC port, and start vncserver from
> there. That's what I typically do when I need to do that kind of
> thing.

If you block port's in the 5900's from outside access and then use ssh it
is pretty secure.  This is what I do, but I try and start the vncserver as
user blah at startup and the only thing that shows up when I connect to
the server is the X background.  If I run the same script that starts the
server in rc.d after initialization it works fine.