Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 2000 17:01:19 -0400
From:      "JF Prieur" <jfp51@ebeing.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SMP performance of 4.0-Stable

Hello,

Our webserver (dual P2/450, 256MB RAM, 4*9GB UltraWideSCSI) is currently
running IIS, ColdFusion and MySQL. We are in the process of weaning
ourselves off of NT and implementing FreeBSD wherever it is feasible.

How is FreeBSD's SMP performance compared to NT. Also, since MySQL, for
example, runs about 40% faster on FreeBSd than NT, if BSD's SMP
performance is not up to par with NT, would it still be worth it to
migrate it to a uniprocessor FreeBSD box?

Just trying to see where we can get rid of NT :-)

Also, does FreeBSD do software RAID at all like NT or will I have to buy
a RAID card (I know that performance is better but we are on a very
tight budget)

Thanks for your help,
JF Prieur, MCSE
Benevolent Network Dictator
e being communications inc.

The year before I was born we walked on the moon,
now 31 years later it is considered a modern feat of
science to grow tomatos in low earth orbit.