Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 13:57:53 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Zach Heilig <zach@gaffaneys.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cdda2wav == panic ... (cases where it does NOT panic)

> cdda2wav does not panic this system under these conditions:

This issue has been discussed to death several times; it relates to a
bad interaction between the I/O system and SYSV shared memory, where
pages out of the shared region are still busy when cdda2wav exits.

This appeared with the CAM integration, and *may* be related to the
way the two interact.

> 1) with the -N option (does not write data to disk)
> 2) with the -n 1 option (reads/writes a single sector at a time, default is 55)
> 3) when 'audio.wav' is a fifo, but it fails in a different (non-panic'y) way:
> No overlap sampling active
> samplefiles size total will be 415316600 bytes. 10 tracks
> recording  seconds stereo with 16 bits @  Hz ->'audio'...
> cannot set realtime scheduling policy: Function not implemented
> cannot set realtime scheduling policy: Function not implemented
> write(audio, 0x3004800C, 129360) = 8192
> Probably disk space exhausted: Undefined error: 0

This is a bug in cdda2wav it would appear; a short write is not an
error.