Date:      Wed, 08 Dec 1999 16:23:17 -0800
From:      Deepwell Internet <freebsd@deepwell.com>
To:        "Scott I. Remick" <scott@computeralt.com>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What kind of attack is this?

Our shell server was a victim to this a while back.  One day when I got in
to the office the phones were ringing of the hook while support staff ran
around like Chihuahuas.  I got calls all morning from people asking why we
were scanning their network.  As far as I could tell someone was spoofing
ICMP echo requests from random machines and the shell server was happily
answering them.  The admins of the random ping returns were seeing it as a
port scan or some intrusion tool.

It didn't have our T-3 pegged, but it probably had the attackers bandwidth
pegged as it.  When we looked at our MRTG graphs they had a nice plateau at
2mb and stayed there.  That was the day the shell server went away.

I've never found the DoS tool that generated this, but ICMP attack tools
are a dime a dozen.

Also, more recently we saw a DoS attack similar to a smurf attack.  It
appears that someone was spoofing the address of one of our web servers and
sending SNMP tree requests to the broadcast addresses of random
networks.  One admin I talked to said he would see a single SNMP request
come in from us (spoofed, I'm guessing) and then all their HP printers with
Jet direct cards would go nuts spewing their entire MIB data back.  That's
much nastier than a smurf attack!  Has anyone heard of this before?

-Terry