Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 13:11:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ding ding ding... Dinner is served.

just fyi, when i enabled crash dumps the other day on /dev/wd0s1b it
decided that /usr (wd0s1g i think) looked like a more cozy spot... well
urm, OWWWW, :)

i was able to use/install the BETA you have it only seems like there was
some problems with the floppies, (taking a SNAP and pointing it at that
BETA worked ok)

now i have a sorta defualt install of that -BETA however i'm a bit
confused as to how to install shared libs, do they still use major/minor
numbers like:
libX11.so.6.0
or
libX11.so.6

this is in regards to ELF.

also do we still mostly need the symlinks of libX11.so -> libX11.so.6 ?

some good news, i was able to compile a few rather large projects in this
new enviornment:

 most of the base KDE apps/core compiled ok, (by hand, minor tweaking
because of brain dead configure scripts, "DAMMIT  I TOLD YOU MY X LIBS
ARE OVER HERE!!! GRRR" :) )

i was able to link MesaGl by removing the leading underscores (actually by
undef'ing FreeBSD in the asm files)

XF86 built ok. then Xaccel overlaid it fine.

a buncha other things with a bit of sweat and blood compiled seemingly ok.

anyhow it has been an experiance.

thank you,
Alfred Perlstein - Programmer, HotJobs Inc. - www.hotjobs.com
-- There are operating systems, and then there's FreeBSD.
-- http://www.freebsd.org/                        3.0-current