Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 2001 20:56:09 -0500
From:      "Dave VanAuken" <dave@hawk-systems.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: a very dumb backup question

do a dump of the databases to get around this...  for example, we cron
mysqldump and pgsqldump each morning at 3am...  once complete you have
an accurate 3am "snapshot" of the database, then run your backup
immediately thereafter (we have it all in the same shell script).

on disaster, rebuild the server from the backup and then delete the
database data (which may be erronious if backed up mid session or
something) and restore from the database dumps.

We also have some e-commerce/critical db files that get incrementially
dumped and rotated thruout the day to cover disasters between nightly
backups.  the brief overhead of a pg_dump for 30-60 seconds every hour
is a small price to pay for recovering a few thousand dollars in
transactions that would otherwise dissapear into never never land.

html file changes are less of a worry since any changes uploaded to
the server should be available fo reload from your development station
in the event of a disaster.

Dave