Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2018 09:22:27 +0100
From:      Johannes Lundberg <johalun0@gmail.com>
To:        rebecca@bluestop.org
Cc:        x11-list freebsd <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Boot messages scroll off bottom of screen on ThinkPad T580 with drm-next-kmod-20180822

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 2:59 AM Rebecca Cran via freebsd-x11 <
freebsd-x11@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 9/13/18 7:24 PM, Rebecca Cran via freebsd-x11 wrote:
> > I'm not sure when this started, but I've recently updated my kernel to
> > r338669 (12.0-ALPHA5) and am running drm-next-kmod-4.11-g20180822on a
> > ThinkPad T530. Now when I boot, after the i915kms.ko loads the boot
> > messages start scrolling off the bottom of the screen, and I can only
> > see them by hitting Enter lots of times. As suggested on gitter.im I
> > tried running drm-devel-kmod, but it caused the screen to blank and the
> > machine to apparently hang (as in
> >
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2018-September/021588.html
> ,
> > but the caps lock key on the built-in keyboard kept working).
>

> I've just realized that the built-in display shows the boot messages
> correctly, with the cursor remaining at the bottom of the screen: it's
> the external DisplayPort monitor that's having them scroll off the bottom.
>

> Hi Rebecca

Yes, I have the same issue with my laptop with 1366x768 and external DP
display 3840x2160. I don't think it's possible to run console with two
separate resolutions so one resolution will dominate and the other display
won't show the content properly.