Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 1996 07:58:13 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        IAE@exchange.spb.inkom.ru
Cc:        bugs@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bug in network! "No buffer space avaliable"

As IAE@exchange.spb.inkom.ru wrote:

> 	In my FreeBSD 2.1.5R ( Systems Pent-100/NetCard 3c590/RAM 8M) after
> connected Linux FTP and put Linux side comand 'GET' in my FreeBSD box
> disconnected with network. I try execute command 'ping ...' put result:
> 'ping: sendto: No buffer space avaliable' and normal work repair after
> reboot UNIX.
> 	How increament available buffers for network !!!

You don't need to increment it.  The buffers fill only up since the
network card doesn't respond.

The sad thing is that the `vx' driver is fairly preliminary.  It
should not have been in 2.1.5 at all, and was only included since the
release notes and printed (CD-ROM) documentation mentioned these cards
as being supported.

The best fix is to either swap the card against something FreeBSD has
a better driver for, or rewrite the `vx' driver.

--
cheers, J"org