Date:      Fri, 06 Apr 2001 21:40:24 -0400
From:      Jeff Gardner <gardner@journey.com>
To:        don <don@mars.siad.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sorry, but this 4.3 box has me totally stumped. It simply won't  gateway the PPP link. FULL details of setups.

> I will reply one last time since my original reply was a bit incoherent
> You say you can connect to your server (203.1.96.6) ok and l assume
> you can login to your server from your laptop (203.1.96.3). this means your PPP
> connection
> is fine. But your Gateway (203.1.96.5) can't see your laptop on the interface
> for
> your local lan because it is not there, you have your laptop on another network
> interface.
> So you need to add a route to your Gateway so your laptop can be found.
> route add laptop (your destination) server (your gateway for your PPP network).

I see your point here.  But, wouldn't wouldn't proxy need to be enabled
in ppp.conf since:

 proxy
             Default: Disabled.  Enabling this option will tell ppp to
proxy
             ARP for the peer.  This means that ppp will make an entry
in the
             ARP table using HISADDR and the MAC address of the local
network
             in which HISADDR appears.  This allows other machines
connecteed
             to the LAN to talk to the peer as if the peer itself was
connect-
             ed to the LAN.  The proxy entry cannot be made unless
HISADDR is
             an address from a LAN.

And, Robert has enable proxy commented out.  This is my hunch since it
is ppp's job to make the peer be visible to the LAN as if it were
connected directly.

Jeff