Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 12:26:04 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Chad Morland <chad.morland@inquent.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DLT Backup Questions

In the last episode (Oct 22), Chad Morland said:
> I am looking to create a multi-tape backup of close to 260G of data
> using a DLT-7000 with compression turned on. Does anyone have any
> recommendations for what to use to accomplish this? Amanda does not
> support multi-tape archives so that is out of the question. I have
> tried to use gnu tar but for some reason that was only placing 35G
> onto each tape (I am trying to use compression.)

I have used gnutar to back up to multiple DLT tapes and it works fine.
Check the LEDs on the unit when you're doing a backup.  If the "35" and
"Compress" LEDs are not lit, you might have tapes that had been written
with compression off at some point.  Rewind the tape, and press the
"Density" button until "35", "Compress", and "Override" are all lit.
Then try the backup again.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com