Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2000 07:03:48 GMT
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, parkpark <parkpark@home.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: theoretical limit for TCP/IP connections

> * parkpark <parkpark@home.com> [001205 20:50] wrote:
> >
> > Pleaes Help me to investigate the theoretical limit for TCP/IP
> > connections over a 100Mbps line. I like to  know what the line
> > capacity is for a client which does: connect(), write(), close(),
> > and the server does: accept(), read(), close().  These calculations
> > are complicated, but I'm sure soneone can find me some snaswers.
> > Please  hemp me to do the calculations as soon as possible as this
> > will give me a better idea of how good my current performance is
> > compared to the theoretical limit for Freebsd!.
>
> Please wrap lines at 70 characters.
>
> Er, I've gotten full 100mbit with not very fast pentium machines.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean exactly by your question though.

I presume what you are really asking is about the efficiency of
the protocol implementations from FBSD.
I guess there are programs out there. But what exactly are you
comparing it with ?

An easy test would be to do some large file transfers I would have thought.
Maybe some NFS copying. Set up a controlled environment and try it out.

On the other hand since you have heard of accept,connect and other socket
level system calls you could write your own test program ! That is not
very difficult to do. (if you want to pay me, I will write them for you :).

Remember there are a lot of things going on here.
100Mbits is the hardware spec. of the ethernet, the raw bit transfer rate.
There will also be the TCP/IP overhead.
There will also be the application protocol overhead.
The quality of your network hardware

Etc.

Let us know what you are comparing it with...

Cliff