Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 22:20:01 -0400
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        "M. Adam Davis" <adavis@ubasics.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Can't ping my newly installed 4.0 box

On Tue, Apr 25, 2000 at 03:44:05PM -0400, M. Adam Davis wrote:
> I came back from comdex and the Linux world in Chicago, all ready to set up
> FreeBSD 4.0 and everything goes *very* smoothly!  Much better than when I
> installed 3.x so long ago.
>
> The only issue I have is that something in the network configuration must not
> have been set up correctly.  I've been through both the FreeBSD handbook and The
> Complete FreeBSD and neither are giving me any clues.
>
> Upon bootup, ed0 is recognized (IRQ 10, Port 0x280) and there are not error
> messages.
>
> I can ping from the box to itself (ping -c 3 10.1.1.1) but cannot ping any other
> machine on my network from the box, nor can I ping the box from another machine.
>
> I don't know what I'm doing, but poking around makes me feel like ifconfig needs
> to be looked at:
>
> 'ifconfig ed0' shows something about inet6 being attached to ed0, but no inet.
> after 'ifconfig ed0 inet 10.1.1.1' I still cannot ping anywhere.

What does the ifconfig(8) output actually look like? What does ping(8)
actually do when it fails? What happens if you turn on tcpdump(8) on
the interface? See anything out there?

I have an ex0 card that's been a bit... odd under 4.0. Sometimes it
seems to "fall asleep" after boot. I can't ping out or in or otherwise
use the network. However, if I turn on tcpdump, that seems to wake
things up and it all goes just fine (even after tcpdump is turned back
off). Also, if I start throwing pings at it while it boots, it's never
fallen asleep, but I haven't done that enough times to have a good
statistical sample.